We spent about forty minutes in class going over food possibilities. We came up with about three/four ideas. The first one was have five dollars off an item with the purchase of a ticket. Next we had a solid food price with buffet. Te option for no food was an idea as well, and giving coupons out for future visits. We even thought of having a reduced menu. It was so hard to come to a decision because there are many ways we can go about this, but the bottom line is coming to an agreement with the owners based on the budget we have available.
Corey and I went to Club4100 to meet with Raj and Mena, they looked pretty worn out and said that business had not been great. The Lions Club had come in the night before, but that was about it for the week.
First, we proposed the "five dollars off of a meal with ticket purchase" idea. Mena shot that down right away, she told us that the kitchen just was not staffed enough to handle people lining up to order food. As far as I can tell, I think it is just her and Raj cooking, I can see the dilemma. For some reason, we just did not consider this in class. It's amazing how so many details can get overlooked no matter how much one tries to cover all concerns.
She seemed most interested in the buffet, although she brought up high food prices at the grocery store as well. This alerted Corey and I that she is not buying in bulk from actual restaurant stores, and is going to a standard grocery store instead. I'm not sure if she is even going to a Sams club type of place. I would suspect she would have to for this event though. She also said that she wants it to be as low stress as possible. Well, of course that would be nice, but we need her to meet us half way here.
Mena said that she needed to find out some more info from a place she may purchase the food and I am going back on Sunday to talk with her. Prof. King is trying to come as well! I think having her there explaining the situation with the buget could really work in our favor.
I also brought up the possiblity of giving out 10% coupons for a future date, as a way to bring people back to the club. She said she wants to think about this also.
I am pretty sure that the venue is free and we didn't even ask because things were already so tense. I hope Mena knows that we are trying to help out, I told her this many times. She said she really wants to help us out but is hoping that if we do the buffet the money will work like this...ten to her and five to us. Corey did not seem to think this was a good idea, but we only discussed out concerns on the way home and then met King in her office to discuss all the possibilities.
What a week! I will be at the restaurant Sunday afternoon/evening if anyone wants to go. I hope to find out more about the food situation and try once again to gather moral history.
Friday, April 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks to Katie and Corey to following up on this yesterday. I've emailed Katie that I will be able to make it to Club 4100 at 7pm on Sunday. I am going to put together a clear and concise summary of our project so Meena can see exactly what we are doing and the amount of people we are bringing in. As Katie mentioned, this is a small place with a small kitchen/staff. So, they cannot cook to order for hundreds of people. I want to make clear to Meena exactly the funds we are working with and see if we can completely rethink the buffet. We may need to supplement the food offerings of the club in some way. I'll send about the materials that I'll bring to Meena on Sunday. I hope we will have this issue settled by Tuesday's class and we can move on to other important issues--especially the history of the neighborhood and club
ReplyDelete