This past week has really made all our hard work feel like it is truly going somewhere. After grueling over food concerns for the event, we are set with having a buffet! I met Prof. King last Sunday to talk with Mena about our concerns and be strict about what money we have available. I think having King there helped because even with Corey and I trying to tell Mena our thoughts, having the person who got the actual grant in front of her made it seem more serious. Looks like we will be having baked ziti, steak, pigs in a blanket, salad, and potato wedges. It was nice to walk out of there knowing that something was set in stone.
We also met a man that new Paul and Anne and had been attending the club since it opened. I asked him if he would like to do interview and he seemed shy. However, he said that he likes to write music and has writting over 400 songs! Prof. King was asking him to come up with a Club4100 song and to attend the event. He seemed into it, but then said he did not have a card on him and would be in touch another way. Wonder if we will see him again......?
There is still a debate over ticket prices, we are toying with fifteen or twenty dollars, and ten if you get the ticket ahead of time. I think the the street team will be able to get people to purchase early, but I worry for those who come to the door and aren't able to pay. Plus, we don't really know who our sports stars are and we can't just assume certain ones are coming. I wish we had Oprah because EVERYONE would pay a lot to see her. I think in the next week we will figure out the tickets, I mean we have to in order to sell them.
My big goal for the next week is to have my interview with George transcribed. Even though Staci will be utilizing her interview with him as well I am going to get mine down on paper in case other oral histories fall through. Better to have more than nothing!
My history group also decided that we want to have a scrapbook in the banquet room for people to look through and a guestbook for people to sign. Anything that gets people involved and leaves them knowing they are part of something greater will make all of us happy. Missy is planning on getting the scrapbook this weekend and we also want to have a picture area where we can instantly print out pictures of our guests.
I am hoping to get in touch with the people who run the Better Brooklyn org and see if any of them can help us tie up our history. Also, Hillman mentioned a desire to do an interview and it would be nice to have contacts for those looking to help in that area.
All in all, we are on our way. The semester is flying by and I hope this event is a success. It is definitely a learning process though. At the start of the semester it was hard for me to imagine an even like this actually working, but we all help one another out and start to figure out our strengths and weaknesses. If I ever do anything like this down the road I feel as if I will have a head start.
My friend and co-worker took off the Saturday of the event and will DEFINTELY be filming. She can't do the street team next Sunday, but is available any other Sunday or Thursday afternoon. I hope to go to the club with her to meet Mena and Raj and take some general footage of the place.
More soon.......
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
All of this sounds great. Could you ask your friend about including her info on our next round of fliers? It might be good advertisement for her and also stir up interest (if people know that the event is being filmed and turned into a short movie).
ReplyDeleteHey Katie, great work! I'm sure you have the date correct, but the event is on a Sunday, and you put that your friend took off the Saturday of the event...just wanted to mention it so she is off on the right day!
ReplyDelete