I headed over the Club4100 on Thursday, the 26th to interview Paul. When I got there I found out that Staci had been there talking to George Mills and other regulars and that Nick and Corey were still there meeting people and doing interviews. I also found out that Paul had already been interviewed which I need to follow up on and see how detailed it was. I was a little upset to hear this news because I had specifically gone down there to interview him, and he said it had already been done. I then found out that, everyone in the bar had been interviewed. Of course, I was a bit unsettled, wondering where I should begin. I started talking to George Mills and even though he had told his story a few times to other people,he was willing to tell me as well. He also agreed to a taped interview.
The interview consisted of me learning all about his life and how he came to love Club4100. He lives down the street from the place and started going there in 1961. He practically raised his children in the club, bringing into the much loved Easter dinners. His son (now 56) grew up to be the well known Keith Mills, and he has a daughter (now 52) as well. He made it clear that everyone who went to the club grew to feel like one big family. He still feels that it is second home, even with new owners. Raj, one of the owners, was sitting next to us the entire interview and George kept reaching over to let him know how much Raj means to him. Especially since Raj is keeping the place and its history the same.
He also told me that the first owner, Kutros, used to have a swimming pole where the venue space is located now. The pool used to be used for crippled children at a nearby hospital, they would come and swim. Children would use it during the summer and at Easter as well. It seems like such an amazing idea, and crazy to imagine it once being an actual pool.
George also told me about his relationship with Oprah and how he helped take video of her while she was applying to be on television. He told me he will try and bring pictures of her the next time I see him. He said that she thought of him and his wife as family and would hang out a their house sometimes. Pretty exciting!
One thing that made sense to me was George's explanation as to why the clientele may have changed over the years. He said that because people in the neighborhood do not move out, only get older, health issues prevent them from living the same lifestyle. Most of the children grow up and move away, therefore there is less likely a chance for a rotation of clients. Many of George's friends are too sick to walk over the club and outsiders are less likely to just stop in for a drink or meal. This was of great concern to him, but he was happy to see that we are all trying to revive that, trying to bring in new clientele.
I am also happy to say that I have made a dent in spreading the word about Club4100. One of my regulars, Scott, was saying that he did not know where to get some lunch. I suggested Club4100 and that he could say he knew me and the project if he wanted. He actually went, he called me from there saying he was having a great time and that the owners were so welcoming and excited about a new person eating there. I talked to them later that night and they were saying my friend was so nice and how happy it made them. I told them that we are all trying to spread the word!
I hope to get some of my concerns about oral history out on Tuesday, I also hope that me translating my interview with George is not a problem.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment